NYFWM Spring/Summer 2017

Friday, August 19, 2016


Out of numerous collections that showed all across New York City from July 11th through the 14th, there were five stand-out brands who most caught my attention among everyone else. These brands are CadetTimo WeilandOvadia & SonsJohn Varvatos, and LinderAlthough I was not able to see the collections in person I still clocked into the excitement of all of the menswear presentations through social media. Platforms such as Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, and the ultimate online style destination, Vogue helped me get through the week without having an anxiety attack. Here are my thoughts...
I thought Cadet did a really good job of reinventing how men wear linen. The brand showed a variety of pieces in linen in an amazing assortment of muted tones that can be worn while navigating through a scorching city. I personally LOVED the jumpsuits best because they are so easy to throw on with a great pair of sandals and you are on your way. My favorite is the gray one on the far right. In the words of Rachel Zoe, I DIE. 
Timo Weiland definitely caught my eye this season with the shoes, bold colors, and prints. The two shoes shown above will definitely be my footwear staples next summer. A simple, black, derby shoe for business and a sturdy, leather, sandal for fun. You may not know this about me but I am obsessed with chinos and if I could, I would have one in every color. Weiland showed the coolest blue tones in their chinos and paired them with these awesome zip-down shirts, button-down shirts with military-pockets, as well as V-neck sweaters and 1950's-looking cardigans and short-sleeved shirts. Obsessed.

Ovadia & Sons really seemed to capture the essence of what I call "bad boy meets chic." Anyone who knows me knows I love a leopard print. That leopard print fur coat in my closet would allow me to sleep so well at night. Another favorite is the black, eighteenth century-inspired bomber jacket. I feel like Beyoncé should have this in her closet. Who knows? I do know that the brand really showed some edgy yet sophisticated jackets in this collection. All of which could be worn for a night out on the town.

John Varvatos was another designer that gave a fresh take on linen with his suits. The pieces were in smooth, neutral colors and I simply NEED every single one that walked down the runway. Every look was styled to perfection paired with the slick boots and colorful neckties. *Side Note: I am obsessed with scarves. They are simply Terrific. This collection simply reiterated that you can wear them all year-round with no problem. Varvatos never fails to reinvent his signature, rock-superstar look in every one of his collections and keep it fresh and modern. Thanks to him, I must have a plethora of linen suits in my wardrobe for next summer. It's a must.
All photography courtesy of Vogue.com

Linder is a relatively new brand on the menswear scene and really caught my eye this season with its choice of shapes, fabrics, and styling. First off, I LOVED what he did with his denim. The wide-legged, studded jeans took me back to my "emo" days of dressing in middle school. (*Who knows why I dressed emo, but let's just leave it in the past.) It looks totally modern and I would definitely wear it with some kick-ass Acne ankle boots and a crisp white shirt. The oversized, natural denim jacket on the far right is also totally dramatic and I am obsessed with it. The entire collection was filled with playful pieces like that and challenged me to up my *risk game severely.

That's about it for my (NYFWM S/S 17) Review.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

We love to hear insight from our readers! Do not be afraid to share your thoughts, they can only make us better.